Pet GroomerFull Job Description
Are you in a job you hate and want to do something you love?
Begin a new career in Pet Grooming today!
No experience? No problem. We provide on the job training through the Paragon School of Pet Grooming Distance Learning Program.
You will learn how to groom right in our salon!
Does this sound like you?
- Do you work well in a team or group?
- Can you communicate effectively and positively- with teammates and clientele?
- Are you interested in finding "better ways to do things"?
- Do you like identifying problems and creating solutions?
- Not afraid to getting dirty, wet, or sweaty?
- Do you like to help maintain a clean working environment?
- Can you provide examples of project accomplishments (does not have to be grooming related)?
- Are you interested in improving the well-being of animals and providing care for them?
- Are you ok with the "not-so-pretty" side of animals including feces, urine, hair, etc?
- -Do you have a genuine compassion for animals and understand the bond animals and people can have for one another?
- Are you looking for a career and not just a job?
THEN IT SOUNDS LIKE THIS IS THE JOB FOR YOU
JOB DESCRIPTION: GROOM TECH
Company Information: WAG Nation is a dog and cat retail store in the coastal community of Newport,RI. Wag Nation helps pet parents and their companions live better lives! We have a strong mission and purpose behind what we do and we are looking for passionate people to join our community!
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Performs Groom Tech functions as requested by client, agreed upon and described on the groom card, computer system profile, or instruction form.
- Provides an attractive pet bath and basic grooming needs that meets client’s expectations and is appropriate for the pet type.
- Observes dog’s coat conditions and recommends appropriate treatments and remedies based on needs of the pet and skill level of the Groom Tech.
- Provides clients with retail product suggestions if it can benefit the pet’s coats or overall condition.
- Ensures front desk is advised of extra charges required for brush-out or dematting services.
- Finishes dogs per client description and expectations.
- Manages own grooming workload and schedule to ensure departure times are met and clients are notified in advance of unavoidable delays.
- Ensures grooming station is stocked with supplies, tools, cleaned and ready for use, and alerts manager if supplies are needed
- Maintains room safety by wiping up water spills and pet accidents as soon as possible.
- Updates pet status using company defined systems. Advises reception when pets are ready to go home, and all required and requested services are completed.
- Follows safety procedures for pets and staff at all times.
- Asks for assistance when a pet is stressed, very difficult to manage, or showing any signs of injury prior to or during the service being rendered.
- Cleans grooming areas at the end of day and performs additional maintenance throughout the day as needed.
- Utilizes company electronic system to log pet & client notes, and updates accordingly or provides these updates to the reception team for system entry.
- Performs related duties as assigned or as the situation dictates.
- Communicates with leadership when any grooming room equipment is damaged and needs to be repaired.
- Must present themselves in a professional manner including the wearing of company approved attire in good condition and abide by other desired personal presentation requirements found in the employee manual or guide.
Core competencies upon successful completion of skills training include:
- Canine Psychology
- Safe Pet Handling
- Brushing and Combing all coat types
- Bathing all coat types
- Drying all coat types
- Nail Trimming
- Ear Cleaning
- Preparatory Hair Trimming
- Basic Clipper Techniques
- Basic Finishing Techniques
- Customer Service Skills
- Demonstrating Professionalism
- Equipment Handling and Maintenance
- Practice Safety and Sanitization protocols
Education, Experience and Desired Attributes:
- High school diploma or GED preferred.
- Valid grooming certification/license.
- Ability to follow instructions, learn new things and retain information.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and interact with all levels of an organization.
- Ability to multi-task, remain agile and work efficiently within a fluctuating and fast paced work environment.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently as well as within a team.
Physical Requirements Rarely Occasionally Frequently Regularly
0-12% 12-33% 34-66% 67-100%
Seeing: Must be able to read reports, use computer, color code. X
Hearing: Must be able to hear well enough to communicate with clients & staff. X
Sedentary - Involves mostly sitting X
Lifting/Pulling/Pushing Up to 50 lbs. X
Use of hands: to type, handle, feel. X
The employee is frequently exposed to pets, hair, dander, and occasionally pet urine, feces, saliva, and vomit. The employee is regularly exposed to light fumes or airborne particles from cleaning solutions, moving parts from equipment such as vacuums, mops, and dryers and to warehouse and store conditions on a routine basis. Personal protective equipment may be required when working in designated areas.
The noise level in the work environment is moderate but can be loud at times. Occasional local travel to community events may be requested.
Must be able to perform job duties with or without reasonable accommodation. The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees and is not
to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Pay: $12.00 - $15.00 per hour
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Tuition reimbursement
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
To keep our staff safe we are following appropriate guidelines
- What is your number of years experience working with animals? Such as grooming, pet store, farming, scouting, horses, 4h club or any other animal related experience.
- High school or equivalent (Required)
Interested parties may apply here
- working with animals: 1 year (Preferred)