Norman Bird Sanctuary
E-mail resume and cover letter (including two references) to email@example.com . Please do not apply through LinkedIn's "apply now" feature. Thank you!
The Norman Bird Sanctuary was established in 1949 through a bequest from Mabel Norman Cerio. Its mission, under the charge of her will, is to maintain her colonial farm property “for the propagation, preservation, and protection of birds, and where birds and bird life may be observed, studied, taught, and enjoyed by lovers of nature and by the public generally so interested in a spirit of humanity and mercy.”
The Norman Bird Sanctuary has a 70-year track record of protecting, restoring, and sharing with the public the largest protected open space on Aquidneck Island. Our mission remains true to our benefactor’s original vision: the Norman Bird Sanctuary inspires diverse audiences to enjoy and appreciate the environment, birds, and other wildlife.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our Development team as Events Manager. We are seeking a creative and energetic individual who is extremely detail-oriented and has superb verbal and written communication skills.
This position oversees all event planning processes, including event revenue and experience and will work closely with the Development Manager to acquire and retain donors and corporate supporters. This position will support other programs as needed to drive forward strong revenue outcomes and event experiences.
SPECIAL EVENTS (75%)
- Serve as the primary individual responsible for planning and executing a full, varied calendar of events.
- Develop event plans, fundraising goals, and objectives that support event strategies; manage the implementation of fundraising plans ensuring that adequate resources are provided to successfully accomplish goals and objectives.
- Support and attend educational programs as needed, contributing to planning and operations.
- Procure auction items and in-kind donations.
- Track and report in-kind donation totals, event expenses and revenue, volunteer engagements, and other event data.
- Manage the budget for events, ensuring that revenue and expenses are effectively managed and adjusted throughout the fiscal year as indicated or needed; provide progress reports and revenue/expense projections to Development Manager and Executive Director.
- Use market research and event trends to develop future schedule of events.
- Collaborate with Development Manager to ensure high-end customer service for the event attendees with timely acknowledgments and year-round stewardship.
- Set revenue goals, track, and present fundraising progress for each event.
- Maintain and report out event documents, including Event Plan, Event Timeline, Event Layout, Volunteer Details, and more.
- Work closely with Marketing and Communications Assistant for event-related needs.
- Maintain and grow volunteer base for events through outreach to individuals, community-based organizations and groups, colleges/universities, and corporations as needed.
- Identify event-related volunteer positions needed and ensure that positions are sufficiently filled to meet NBS needs.
- Ensure event volunteer behaviors and performance are aligned with the values of Norman Bird Sanctuary.
- Provide timely feedback and coaching to improve event volunteer performance and behaviors.
- Maintain event volunteer schedule.
- Create and provide event volunteers with tools and resources leading up to and during event.
- Initiate volunteer feedback through surveys and other means.
- Identify high profile volunteers and make connections with the Development Manager.
SPONSORSHIPS AND CORPORATE OUTREACH (20%)
- Lead the acquisition of new in-kind, individual and corporate sponsors, and drive retention strategies.
- Track all solicitation with sponsors and prospects.
- Lead event sponsor stewardship and follow up correspondence.
- Track and ensure delivery of sponsor benefits and in-kind donations.
- Solicit new sponsor prospects.
- Maintain relationships with sponsors, with goal of retaining year over year engagement.
THIRD PARTY EVENTS MANAGEMENT (5%)
- Facilitate the day-to-day operations of third-party/DIY fundraising.
- Coaching and stewarding third-party event organizers, with the goal of maintaining NBS as primary recipient of third-party event funds raised and increasing revenue year over year.
- Track and maintain required contracts and tools.
- Collaborate with Development Manager to develop tools and resources for event organizers.
- Efficiently respond to customer service inquiries related to third-party/DIY fundraising.
Minimum Experience/Skills/Competencies Required
- Bachelor's degree required
- Minimum of 3 years of progressive event management experience
- Previous volunteer leadership required
- Creative and energetic individual who functions well within a fast-paced, team environment, which includes cross-department collaboration as well as independent work
- Superb verbal, written and communication skills, diplomacy, and discretion
- Results driven style and proven track record of achieving event goals
- Proven success building sustainable corporate relationships/sponsorships
- Experience in preparing and managing operating budgets
- Ability to motivate and engage with volunteers, staff and a variety of constituents is essential
- Outstanding customer experience and services abilities
- Advanced computer abilities (MS Outlook, Word, Power Point, Excel, on-line fundraising tools, databases)
- Must have access to personal transportation, and be able and willing to drive throughout the state
- Ability to work selected nights and weekends, especially the month leading up to each event.
This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week (9 am to 5 pm), Monday through Friday.
Occasionally requires evening and weekend work. The position is at-will, salaried, with full benefits. The position reports to the Development Manager. The salary is commensurate with experience. Norman Bird Sanctuary is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants of all genders, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and persons with disabilities to apply.
Interested parties may apply here