Marketing ManagerFull Job Description
POSITION: MARKETING MANAGER
START DATE: AUGUST 2021
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Clean Ocean Access (COA) is an equal opportunity employer who strives to create an atmosphere where diversity of identity, experience, and background are welcomed, valued, and supported. COA is committed to considering candidates for employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, disability, and any other status protected under applicable law, and provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. All decisions affecting employment at COA are made based on qualification, performance, and other pertinent work-related factors.
ABOUT CLEAN OCEAN ACCESS
COA was established in 2006 and is a growing community science environmental organization that became a non-profit organization in 2014. In 2014 the organization had $900 in cash with no employees, and in 2020 the annual operating budget was $1M with 10 employees. Located in Middletown, Rhode Island with a footprint primarily on Aquidneck Island, performing some off-island efforts to achieve our mission. Our mission is “Inspire and educate the community to take action through environmentally responsible behaviors” with a primary focus on eliminating marine debris, improving coastal water quality, and protecting and preserving shoreline access. COA is a casual and intense work environment where creativity, flexibility, and collaboration are essential and rely on planning, attention to detail, information technology, operational excellence, and continuous investments for improvements.
Clean Ocean Access seeks an energized, organized, and passionate marketing, communications, and public relations professional, with an outstanding work ethic, who is creatively fueled & results-driven to lead the creation and execution of the marketing and communications strategies to achieve outcomes for our development and programming goals.
The ideal candidate will have a strong analytic, strategic, and creative ability with robust successful experience in creating and executing marketing and communications for development and programming efforts for a non-profit organization to achieve outcomes. They will be capable of quickly adapting to new situations, confident and eager to absorb the history of Clean Ocean Access, drawing on past experiences, to move the organization forward, and deliver on all outcomes. They will oversee as well as perform the marketing and communication work efforts, and public relations to engage and activate the community to achieve the vision of the organization with a primary focus on outcomes of the development and programming goals. They will proactively work on campaigns and needs of different timescales on any given day, and be comfortable meeting tight deadlines, managing requests from diverse stakeholders, and enthusiastically embrace the work to achieve all outcomes.
The marketing manager reports to the Executive Director, may oversee direct reports, interns, and volunteers, and has a demonstrated and committed interest in furthering their career in marketing and communications for the environmental non-profit sector.
Marketing – Lead in the design, planning, coordination, and execution of creative and impactful marketing and communication strategies and campaigns to achieve outcomes that span all timescales and all organizational efforts and own their implementation from ideation to execution to results. Lead the effort to share new ideas and methods and experiment with a variety of organic and paid acquisition channels like content creation, content curation, pay per click campaigns, event management, social media, lead generation campaigns, copywriting, and performance analysis. Responsible to manage and re-imagine, re-ignite, and re-invent all marketing initiatives using marketing and content calendars, market research and analysis trends, demographics, external schedules, and other relevant information to direct marketing strategy and planning to optimize current efforts to achieve improved results. Oversee the production of all promotional materials and marketing campaigns. Proactively use software management tools to advance efforts to achieve goals, track all metrics and results, and create summary and detailed reports and verbal presentations for management. Adjusts marketing campaigns and strategies as needed in response to collected data and other feedback.
Communications – Responsible to oversee communication efforts and perform work efforts for proactive, strategic, optimized, and timely creation of email marketing, media advisories, press releases, social media, and other communications - and sharing the right message with the right audience and adhering to deadlines. Responsible for assisting with writing and proof-reading communications of all types and sharing innovative communication ideas to develop, cultivate, and advance relationships with the community. Planning and working closely with staff, interns, and volunteers, to make sure all events result in measurable results, interviews, expressions, and digital media (video and photograph) to be used in all marketing and communications and publications. Design, build and publish newsletters, reports, brochures, flyers, and program guides adhering to professional style, content, format, and using professional products for graphic design. Liaise and build deep relationships with media and partners to disseminate relevant news and announcements.
Resource management – Responsible for the recruitment, training, management, and supervision of staff, interns, and volunteers for their efforts in marketing and communication activities. Lead capacity building efforts for the creative formation, recruitment, and activities of working groups, committees, and other types of volunteer efforts for marketing and communications and public relations.
Other – Responsible for some office management activities. Abide by existing and new Clean Ocean Access policies and procedures. Participates in forums and group discussions to improve best practices. Assist the Executive Director with other tasks and activities as required.
· Passion for Clean Ocean Access mission
· Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing or Business, or related field
· Proven working experience in marketing, particularly within the environmental non-profit sector
· 3+ years of experience in marketing campaign strategy and branding
· 3+ years of experience working across all media channels
· 3+ year of Microsoft Office, Adobe, Google Services, and web editing packages
· Driver’s License and State of Rhode Island Criminal Background Check (BCI)
ESSENTIAL SKILLS OR REQUIREMENTS
· Ability to be creative, take initiative, be strategic and detail-oriented to achieve outcomes
· Organizational skills, thoroughness, and attention to detail
· Specializes in driving new business, developing creative marketing strategies
· Excellent communication skills, as well as outstanding copywriting and proofreading
· Ability to engage diverse audience through persuasive and effective communication
· Firm grasp on marketing platforms, channels, best practices, including social, digital, and email
· Self-starter who can independently move projects forward, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines
· Strong analytic skills to gather and analyze metrics and create reports
· Solid knowledge of websites and marketing tools, ad serving tools
· High level of creativity, and works effectively with specific instructions or little supervision
· Passion for quality environmental work rooted in back-office operational excellence
· Confident in representing the mission with integrity and authenticity
· Enjoys working with a diverse group of people in different settings
· Professional, positive attitude, outgoing, strong work ethic, sense of humor
· Experience building and maintaining email marketing campaign using Constant Contact
· Well versed social media skills for Hoot-Suite, Facebook, Instagram, and analytics
· Proficient in Adobe Creative Cloud, Microsoft Office, and web editing packages
· Strong skill set with Adobe or related products for graphics and marketing
· Able to perform website updates with WordPress and utilize new and existing plug-ins
· Build optimized marketing schedules on Smartsheet using historical data analytics
· Experienced and/or growing skill set for Microsoft Office and Google Services
· Experienced and/or growing skill set for Salesforce customer relationship management
· Technology savvy and stays current to continuously advance all skills and technologies
· Takes ownership of using customer relationship management systems using Salesforce
· Creates and utilize reports and dashboards for meaningful analysis to inform strategic next steps
Enjoying life outside of work, especially activities connected with the ocean is important to us. However, Clean Ocean Access is a small team with an expansive footprint of functions and demanding workload. Regular and predictable attendance is required. Employees must be able to cope effectively with deadlines and multiple demands. Project and event specific activities require extreme commitment and flexibility of schedule including non-standard business hours such as nights and weekends. The organization focuses on outcomes, rather than a set schedule and each employee is responsible to project, anticipate, propose, plan, and execute a schedule that achieves all outcomes on-time, on-budget, and on-quality.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
· Salary: Starting Salary $45,000* and commensurate with experience
· Annual bonus: $1,000 dependent on performance
· Health benefits: 50% of base plan
· Professional development or tuition reimbursement up to $500 per year
· Holidays: 10 days per year
· Vacation: 15 days per year
*Salary increases and bonuses dependent on individual performance, organizational performance, market trends and financial outlooks, board approved annual operating plan, and other factors influencing the financial health, mission needs of the organization including strategy/structure/people.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications require two steps.
· Complete application using this google form https://forms.gle/dMUSGGJJtJnSYi369
Create a three-page PDF document and send it to info "AT" cleanoceanaccess.org The email title and the PDF title follow the naming conversion of “2021_MKT_firstname.lastname”. (Example, if your name were Jamie Smith, the title would be 2021_MKT_Jamie.Smith). The first page is a signed cover letter expressing why you are a great fit for the position (COA’s needs), and how this position aligns with your professional career development plan (your desires). The second page is a resume that clearly shows alignment with the position and employment history. The third page include links to online portfolio, links to projects, and other pertinent examples, and a listing of at least two references (context of reference, name, email, phone). References will NOT be contacted until applicant has provided approval after completing first interview
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $45,000.00 - $50,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- Marketing: 2 years (Preferred)
- Communications: 2 years (Preferred)
- One location