Innovate Newport Community Manager
ABOUT INNOVATE NEWPORT
Innovate Newport (www.innovatenewport.org) is a newly-renovated 33,000 square foot co-working and convening center created to spark innovation and activate the local and regional community. It is the product of a partnership between the City of Newport (www.cityofnewport.com), the Newport County Development Council (the 501c3 arm of the Newport County Chamber of Commerce https://www.newportchamber.com/), the Economic Development Foundation of Rhode Island. Featuring private offices, dedicated desk space, meeting and event spaces, and various levels of co-working memberships, Innovate Newport is actively facilitating emerging ecosystems in multiple commercial sectors, particularly applied oceanographic research, defense/cyber applications and environmental technology, and taking advantage of Newport’s growing leadership in these fields. Located on one of Newport’s main thoroughfares and bus routes, Innovate Newport has quickly become a hub of local and regional activity and the convener of successful educational and networking events. Part of the Workbar network, Innovate Newport members gain access to other co-work facilities in the Greater Boston area.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
This position is designed to make Innovate Newport the best possible experience for IN members, tenants and visitors. The Community Manager should be a self-starter who is interested in managing a complex space for startups, entrepreneurs and small businesses. Reporting directly to the managing partners of the Board of Directors for Innovate Newport, the ideal candidate is an individual capable of wearing a variety of hats in a fast paced environment. This person will be responsible for maximizing occupancy through sales techniques and outstanding customer service, maintaining an exceptional and dynamic community, running day-to-day operations of a location, and planning engaging member events.
- Managing all member requests, needs, and relations within the community.
- Fielding incoming space and membership inquiries and requests via email and phone.
- Registering new members and acclimating them to the IN community.
- Managing the monthly membership billing cycle, room reservations management, onboarding and offboarding, membership changes, events calendar, etc.
- Providing excellent customer service by quickly and effectively meeting member needs, communicating professionally, and taking the initiative to exceed their expectations.
- Creating and monitoring new organizational systems to increase our efficiency and improve our community.
- Generating monthly reports on our membership, sales, and marketing programs.
- Providing logistical and general management support for IN’s leadership team and Advisory Committee.
- Promote IN through social networking, contributing to the IN blog, and assisting with online marketing initiatives.
- Coordinating workshops, local events, and other innovations that improve the space.
- Support marketing and advertising efforts.
- Organize and execute community building efforts by developing relationships with members, planning and executing community focused events, helping to connect members across ecosystem and connecting businesses to resources that will help them grow their businesses.
- Assisting all drop-ins and walk-bys, as well as our members’ clients visiting the space.
- Greeting prospective members, giving tours of the facility, and following up to gauge their interest in our community.
- Effective communication with members, vendors, building management and team.
- Responsible for maintaining the space and quality standards, including the kitchen space, coffee bar, office and food & beverage supplies.
- Planning and coordinating onsite events, meetings, and monthly open office hours.
- Assisting in pitching and negotiating partnership and sponsorship opportunities for the organization.
- Managing the CRM database by completing reports and providing timely follow up tailored to a prospect’s needs when developed.
- Other administrative tasks, as needed, related to managing the space, the amenities, and the membership.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Customer service and hospitality experience.
- Interest in business, particularly in start-up and small enterprise.
- Energetic, outgoing and positive attitude.
- Ability to work with people in a social working environment.
- Attention to detail, top organizational and analytical skills.
- Excellent record-keeping abilities.
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication, writing, and interpersonal skills.
- Independent work ethic, in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to pitch in, pound the pavement, roll sleeves up and get dirty!
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency in shared web-based programs, such as Google Apps, DropBox, CRM, etc.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work on a number of tasks simultaneously.
- Familiarity with membership organizations and/or non-profits highly valued.
This position requires some lifting
This is a full-time 40 hr. /week salary position, with competitive benefits package. Standard work schedule with some nights and weekends required.