Full Job Description
Law Firm Seeking Associate Attorney
Aquidneck Island business-focused law practice is seeking to add a motivated associate attorney to our practice with strong interests in the following areas of law: Zoning, Planning, Civil Litigation, Landlord/Tenant; Construction; Business Entity; Contracts; Real Estate, Estates and other business-related matters. This is a full-time opportunity and pays a salary commensurate with experience; includes incentives pay, health benefits, paid time off and retirement plan.
Overview: Silva, Thomas, Martland & Offenberg, Ltd. has developed a reputation in the Newport County and surrounding areas as lawyers who work efficiently and dedicated to accomplishing our clients' goals. We are committed to providing quality legal representation, with personal attention to each matter. Our range of experience includes restaurateurs, hotel owners, retail establishments, financial institutions, construction companies, engineers, non-profit organizations, and many other local business owners.
This position imparts broad responsibilities and exposes an associate to various areas of the law. A successful candidate must have a strong academic background, possess the ability to work simultaneously on several cases, be able to manage deadlines and think independently but work both as a team and on their own. The successful candidate will have long term growth opportunities with the firm.
Job Position Responsibilities Include:
* Collect information relative to cases for partners
* Meetings/communications with clients, opposing parties/attorneys
* Enjoy working directly with clients and capable of managing files independently
* Draft and prepare legal documents including wills, trusts, powers of attorney, pleadings, motions, petitions, orders, decisions and Probate filings.
* Maintain your calendar to includes dates and deadlines for filing documents and entering motions and hearings in office software (Time Matters)
* Enter your time in billing software (Timeslips)
* Keep organized confidential client documents
* File documents with the courts on all levels; appear in District Court, and as co-counsel in Superior Court and Probate Court for motions and trials
* Prepare for and attend night meetings at zoning and planning boards to assist partners and act as the lead attorney for certain matters
* Handle real estate closings include sales, purchases and refinances for residential and commercial properties
* Create means to generate leads for new clients and develop own case load
* Network in the community and through social media to develop a presence and respected reputation
* Maintain and manage the content of the firm’s social media campaign and website
Required Skills and Experience:
- Must be licensed to practice law in Rhode Island (or currently pending)
- Possess strong written and oral communication skills
- Have title insurance license or be eligible to be licensed
- Be a notary public or be eligible to become commissioned
- Real Estate sales or broker’s license a plus
- Candidate would be resourceful, efficient, and proficient with technology
- Be team orientated and ready to handle multiple tasks skillfully
- Knowledgeable in Word and Excel programs; Softpro, TimeMatters and Timeslips a plus
- Office hours are 9am to 5pm with some weeknights and weekends, as needed, to complete responsibilities for client files.
Experience (0-3 years): We prefer attorneys with minimum of three years of legal experience as paralegal, intern, or attorney in the above listed fields of law and will consider those applicants with relevant education and experience for the position. Please provide any prior work experience relevant to the job responsibilities with two letters of recommendation from previous employer.
Education: Provide in a resume your undergraduate degree, law school graduation date, unofficial transcript, bar admission date and any other advance degree or certificates; and provide a recent writing sample.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Bonus pay
Reducing contact with clients and masks required for person to person contact.
- Do you have a writing sample to submit?
- Doctorate (Required)
- Rhode Island Bar number (Preferred)