Functions as the assistant to the operating surgeon during the operative procedure.
Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide age-appropriate care to patients.
Demonstrates compliance with surgical attire policy.
Demonstrates knowledge of AORN standards of asepsis including but not limited to:
- Surgical scrubbing donning of gowns and gloves
- Creating and maintaining surgical field(s).
- Attentiveness to contamination possibilities responding appropriately when it occurs
Demonstrates knowledge of DPC (Doctor�s Preference Cards) including up-dating cards.
Demonstrates knowledge of Retained Surgical Items/Surgical Counts protocol.
Demonstrates knowledge of RSI (Retained Surgical Items) protocol.
Assists surgeons during the procedure as the First Assistant
- Performs positioning prepping draping
- Provides homeostasis by clamping blood vessels coagulating bleeding points ligating vessels and by other means as directed by the surgeon
- Handles tissue as directed by the surgeon during operative procedures
- Performs usual closure as directed by the surgeon; sutures the peritoneum fascia subcutaneous tissue and skin
- Performs Surgical Technologist First Assistant interventions in collaboration with and under the direction of the surgeon
Performs duties of Surgical Technologist as required.
Demonstrates competency in preparing and utilizing surgical instruments and equipment including but not limited to:
- OR tables
- Harmonic scalpel
- Suction devices
- Hydrothermablation machines
- All powered instruments
Advises other staff as appropriate and participates in team approach that results in positive patient outcomes:
- Advises other team members as appropriate
- Coaches and facilitates learning of other team members as appropriate
Maintains a safe environment for patients physicians and other surgical services staff.
Maintains a positive professional relationship with peers patients patient families/care-givers and other colleagues.
Participates in community activities.
Completion of a Surgical Technologist training program.
Current Certified (or eligible) Surgical Technologist (CST).
Credentialed by the LCC-ST as a Certified First Assistant or Certification (or certification � eligible) by The National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) as a Certified Surgical First Assistant (CSFA).
Current BLS certification.
Must be able to sit stand squat/kneel walk for 3-7 hours per day lift over 50lbs with good mechanics twist/bend infrequently.
Must be able to use both hands/wrists and perform work that deviates from neutral position and be able to perform fine motor skills like pinching.
Must have accurate near and far vision 20/20 depth perception and discriminate among colors.
Must be able to hear whispers at 20 feet.
Lifespan is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race color religion sex national origin age ethnicity sexual orientation ancestry genetics gender identity or expression disability protected veteran or marital status. Lifespan is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Newport Hospital USA:RI:Newport
Interested parties may apply here