Education and Experience/Requirements:
Provides personal care to help support and maintain the functioning of patients in their own homes. May perform homemaking duties and meal preparation secondary to personal care services. Responsible to the Clinical Manager.
- Assists patient with personal hygiene according to the plan of care developed by the case manager, (registered nurse or physical therapist) following state and agency guidelines. (Refer to list of duties outlined by RIDOH.)
- Observes, records and reports vital signs and other objective data as requested in the care plan and when changes occur in the patient's condition.
- Assists patient with ambulation and transfers with appropriate safety measures (transfer belts) and utilizing necessary medical equipment.
- Assists patient in meeting elimination needs.
- Assists patient in meeting nutritional needs, including feeding.
- Turns and positions bedbound patients, giving careful skin care and protects susceptible areas with heel protectors, etc.
- Reminds patient to take medication.
- Encourages communication activities to provide mental stimulation and maintain reality orientation.
- Records activities and care given to patient on CNA documentation sheet following program guidelines. Reports to Case Manager, Clinical Manager or Administrator on-call changes in the patient's condition.
- Assists with prescribed exercise program under the supervision of the physical therapist or nurse.
- May perform simple dressing changes not involving prescription medication if included on the plan of care.
- Follows Standard Precautions policy when providing care.
- Attends Team meetings, notifies the Team Supervisor when unable to attend.
- Observes agency dress code.
- High school diploma or equivalency
- Completion of Certified Nursing Assistant Program.
- Licensed as a Certified Nursing Assistant in Rhode Island and Massachusetts. If not licensed at time of hire in Massachusetts, employee will have 1 year from date of hire to obtain reciprocity licensing in Mass.
- Current certification in CPR.
- Minimum of 1 year experience as a CNA or comparable life experience.
- Current valid driver's license, automobile with auto insurance.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform all duties outlined by the State of Rhode Island for a CNA.
- Knowledge of and ability to implement agency policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of and ability to use community resources.
- Knowledge of and ability to fulfill documentation requirements of CNA.
- Ability to make accurate observations and report to appropriate personnel.
- Ability to work with patients, families, colleagues and the general public in a positive manner.
- Ability to utilize the supervisory visit as a mutually effective learning experience.
- Ability to be flexible with caseload assignments in order to meet patient needs.
- Full-time, 40 hours/week
- Weekend and holiday rotation required (up to every other Saturday and every other holiday depending upon agency need)
- Hourly, non-exempt, union position
- Benefit eligible
- Home office: Portsmouth, RI
All applications must be submitted in writing to
Dawn Pagliaro in Human Resources via
email: firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax: 401-682-7562
Visiting Nurse Home & Hospice is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of Visiting Nurse Home & Hospice to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.