TITLE: Temporary Seasonal Laborer
DEPARTMENT: Public Works
REPORTS TO: Public Works Foreman or Designee
JOB TYPE: Seasonal
WORK WEEK: up to 40 hours / week
SALARY: In accordance with existing pay scale
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until position filled
The work in this position involves the operation of a variety of smaller highway and other public works - related equipment in the construction, operation, repair, and maintenance of Town facilities, grounds and infrastructure. The employee may also be assigned to other duties such as driving trucks, cutting grass, cleaning storm drains and ditches or performing manual labor as required. Performs all duties in conformance with appropriate safety and security standards. This position works under the general supervision of the Public Works Foreman, or designee.
I ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The essential functions/duties and/or responsibilities listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties and/or responsibilities does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Assists in the digging of trenches for the purpose of laying drainage or sewer pipe; assists in the digging of drainage system ditches.
- Assists in the loading and unloading of bulk materials.
- Assists in highway projects, beach preservation projects, sewer projects, and other public works projects as required.
- Operates a tractor-mower, drives trucks of various sizes and weights for the purpose of loading, hauling, and unloading of equipment, gravel, sand and other construction materials.
- Performs the proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and checking equipment and tools before and after they are used.
- Assists in minor recreational field repairs and adjustments, reports defects or needed repairs to the appropriate supervisor.
- Inspects work sites to ensure all job-related safety procedures are in place and reports all safety issues to the appropriate supervisor.
- Performs all duties in conformance with appropriate safety and security standards.
- Performs other related duties as required.
II NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES The following generally describes the knowledge and ability required to enter the position and/or be learned within a short period of time in order to successfully perform the assigned duties:
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, tools, equipment and techniques used in the construction field.
- Knowledge of the operating principles of gasoline and diesel engines.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety and security standards required for the position.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to perform medium to heavy manual labor for extended periods and under unfavorable weather conditions.
- Ability to operate listed tools and equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with fellow employees, other departments, and the general public.
III MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be 16 years of age or older
- Must possess a High School Diploma or GED certificate.
- Must possess valid Driver's License
- Must have previous experience in public works related work
- Must be skilled in the operation of small construction equipment.
- Must be able to perform medium to heavy manual labor (all weather conditions).
- Must be able to complete work with and/or without supervision.
- Must be able to perform a variety of tasks with skill and dexterity.
IV PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand and talk or hear. The employee is required to walk; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel crouch, crawl, and smell.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to extreme weather conditions and high noise levels.
- Candidate must be physically qualified to perform the assigned duties as evidenced by a physician's certificate (pre-employment physical exam).
V EQUIPMENT USED Equipment used includes but is not limited to the following:
- Motorized vehicles, including but not limited to medium to heavy equipment, including 1 ton dump truck, pickup truck, utility truck, snowplow, sander, tractor/mower, saws, pumps, common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches, mobile radio, telephone.
The Town of Middletown is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested parties may apply here