Chief Operations Officer
Job Title: Chief Operations Officer
Salary Range: $112,500.00 - $199,999.00
At a Glance:
EEOC Job Classification:
Executive/Senior Level Officials and Managers
Granted Funded Date:
Summary: The COO is responsible for providing operational leadership, management and vision necessary to ensure that United Way of Rhode Island has the proper operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures, information technology infrastructure, and people systems in place to effectively meet the strategic mission and objectives of the organization. The COO collaborates with the President & CEO to ensure financial strength and operating efficiency in support of the needs and programs in the communities we serve. This position is a member of the United Way of RI’s senior team.
Direct reports include Chief Financial Officer, Director of Human Resources, and IT Contractor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directly oversee the operations of finance, human resources, and information technology.
- Collaborate with the CEO to design, develop and implement business strategies, plans and procedures that align short and long-term objectives with organizational vision and operational strategy.
- Serve as an active member of the Senior Leadership team contributing to the strategy development across the enterprise.
- Analyze internal operations and identify areas for process improvement and enhancement. Ensure internal controls and systems are adequately designed and operating effectively.
- Proactively manage capital investment and expenses to ensure the company achieves targets relative to growth.
- Monitor financial performance metrics and establish corrective measures as needed. Prepare detailed reports showing current and future forecasting.
- Proactively manage information and technology vendor relationship and recommend capital improvements as necessary.
- Translate strategy into actionable goals that drive organizational performance and growth.
- Develop and implement organization-wide goal setting, performance management, and annual operational planning processes.
- Oversee company operations and employee productivity, building a highly inclusive culture that ensures team members thrive and organizational outcomes are met.
- Ensure effective recruiting, onboarding, professional development, and retention strategies are in place and comparable to market.
- Motivate, lead and coach high performance, strengths-based teams.
- Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment within the organization.
- Maintain and build trusted relationships with key customers, clients, partners, and stakeholders, including United Way of Rhode Island and United Way Worldwide.
- Serve as staff lead to Audit, Finance, Compensation and Benefits and Strategic Technology committees of the board.
- Represent United Way of RI at professional gatherings, on community boards and at civic events.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proven and demonstrated experience leading teams through transformation.
- Bachelor Degree (or related experience) in Business Management.
- Master of Business Administration or relevant degree, a plus.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in a senior management role in a complex organization.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience serving in an executive level position.
- Experience managing finance, human resources and/or technology.
- A collaborative and flexible operating style.
- An understanding of or experience with nonprofit organizations.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents; respond promptly and effectively to inquiries; write, prepare and deliver effective presentations to staff, board, committee members, and the general public.
- Analytical skills, including modeling and the ability to apply logical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
- Working knowledge of IT/Business infrastructure, HRIS systems and proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Working knowledge of accounting and development software products a plus.
- Experience with federal, state and private grants is a plus.
- Proactive and well organized.
- Personal values consistent with United Way mission.
- Demonstrate integrity by being accountable for actions, keeping commitments, and speaking honestly and truthfully with others.
- Demonstrate an enthusiasm for professional development acquiring new skills and knowledge to enhance role.
- Demonstrate a commitment to individual and team-based assignments.
- Demonstrate quality assurance by producing accurate and thorough work.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills in dealing with others.
- Demonstrate valuing the diversity of others’ opinions and experiences.
- Demonstrate sound reasoning and good common sense.
- Demonstrate the ability to meet and exceed customer expectations.
- Demonstrate active participation in departmental, team, and full-staff meetings.
- This job description is intended to convey the essential functions of this position and it is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.