Associate GuideJob TypePart-timeDescription
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks seasonal summer candidates to work 14 weeks from May through August and part-time candidates to work up to 34 weeks from April through October. One weekend day is required. Shifts are from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Occasional special events may require work outside of this period.
Positions Available for either:
Seasonal summer Associate Guides- must work a minimum of 4 days per week mid-May through mid-August.
Part-time Associate Guides- must work a minimum of 3 days per week with the exception of high season, which is 4 days per week, Memorial Day through Labor Day.
- Work as an Associate Guide of The Preservation Society of Newport County within our audio tour house museums (The Breakers, Marble House, Rosecliff and The Elms).
- Responsible for providing the first impression to our visitors by offering excellent customer service, assisting visitors in way-finding on tours, assisting visitors with downloading the Newport Mansions app, learning about our house museums and the families who owned those properties, providing information to visitors and contributing to the overall quality of the Visitor’s Experience.
- Involves working in multiple areas of each property where you will be required to stand and walk for up to an hour at a time, climb up to 40 stairs at a time and escort guests on elevators, with only short periods to sit throughout the day.
- Will use a two-way radio with an earpiece to communicate with other guides.
The desirable candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and customer service skills; documented customer service skills and public speaking experience preferred.
- Strong self-starter with the ability to work independently, multi-task, and establish priorities.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions and training guides.
- Familiarity with mobile devices strongly preferred.
- Follow prescribed safety and health rules, regulations, and practices.
- A minimum of one weekend day per week is required for all guides.
- We are only closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas; guides must be available to work on other holidays.
- Candidates must be able to download apps on both andriod and iOS devices.