Norman Bird Sanctuary seeks a year-round, full-time Properties Technician. Duties include assisting the Director of Properties in the management of eleven buildings and 325 acres of diverse habitat. We take pride in maintaining these facilities to provide visitors with a safe and memorable experience. The right candidate will be an experienced trail hand who is detail oriented, quality and efficiency driven, and is able to work independently as well as on a team. Candidates should possess excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with all constituents including community members, staff, and volunteers.
The Properties Technician plays an integral role in cultivating the campus and trail network. The position requires direct field work, the operation of trail equipment and assistance with the Invasive Plant Management Program. In addition to grounds work, this individual will play a role in presenting a positive trail experience to all visitors. Lastly, the position also requires assisting in keeping the eleven buildings in pristine condition, includes cleaning and sanitizing these facilities as well as regular maintenance and upkeep. The time spent in this position requires approximately 80% of field work (50% invasive species control, 10% mowing/weed whacking, 5% native garden maintenance, 5% seed collecting, and 10% monitoring) and 20% office/other (15% cleaning of buildings and 5% office work).
• Project tracking: Track field results including weekly work logs, trail log updates, photo documentation, and preparation of project report.
• Habitat restoration: Tree and shrub planting, invasive removal, and field restoration.
• Trail Maintenance: Mowing, weed-whacking, weeding, brush cutting, and stone wall rebuilding.
• Building Maintenance: Painting, light carpentry, cleaning/sanitizing, and general repairs.
• Data organization: Manipulation, interpretation, collection and entry into the invasive management database. Recording all stewardship activities into specific formats.
• Assisting with events and programs and other duties related to the smooth functioning of the Sanctuary.
This position requires an ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions and three to five years of experience operating power equipment such as chain saw, weed-whacker, hedge trimmer, small tractor, and other power tools. Ability to lift 40 lbs. Painting and light carpentry experience is also required. Strong familiarity with Rhode Island flora and fauna and experience using GIS and GPS to map natural features is desirable. Please note any experience working with volunteers or with the public.
This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week (8 am to 4 pm), Monday through Friday. Occasionally requires evening and weekend work. The position is at-will, salaried, with full benefits. The salary is commensurate with experience. Properties Technician will be supervised and led by the Director of Properties, who reports to the Executive Director.
Norman Bird Sanctuary is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants of all genders, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation and persons with disabilities to apply.
Please send cover letter, resume, and two references to email@example.com
Open until filled.