Gardens and Grounds Supervisor - Full Time
Reports to: Director of Museums
Job Summary: The Grounds and Gardens Supervisor is both a managerial and hands-on position. The Supervisor is responsible for overseeing as well as participating in providing year round maintenance of the grounds and facilities of Rough Point, Whitehorne House, Prescott Farm and preservation properties. This position supervises one year round employee, two full-time seasonal employees and one part-time seasonal employee.
Specific Responsibilities: Supervise and participate in:
- Lawn mowing and maintenance, weeding, spring and fall leaf clean-up.
- Tree work including pruning, removal and chipping.
- Hedge trimming from the ground or ladder.
- Snow removal including plowing.
- Edging and mulching, tree and shrub planting.
- Painting and light carpentry, masonry repairs and hardscape installation.
- General cleaning of shop and facilities.
- Equipment and vehicle maintenance and repair.
- Winterizing work to Rough Point as necessary.
- Maintain landscapes at vacant preservation properties.
- Coordinate with the Director to ensure historical landscape accuracy.
- Supervise the grounds and gardening staff.
- Occasionally assist museum staff with educational projects and participates in one to three public programs each season.
- Help organize annual plant sale.
- Water supply and irrigation maintenance and repair.
- Collaborate with NRF’s Preservation Department to identify landscape and hardscaping maintenance needs at the preservation properties, and manage and/or subcontract maintenance accordingly. Periodically, this will include reviewing tenant requests for landscape changes.
- May work with other NRF crews and provide coverage of the front gate at Rough Point as necessary.
- Other projects as requested by the Executive Director.
- Minimum five years of landscaping experience
- Minimum three years supervisory experience.
- Experience with public gardens, parks, and/or museum properties a plus.
- Possess a strong working knowledge of plant material.
- Requires excellent written and verbal communication and problem solving skills along with good negotiating skills.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Word, and Excel preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Fundamental budgeting skills.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and dedication