The part time library assistant serves the public at the circulation desk and reports directly to the Circulation Supervisor.
20 HOURS PER WEEK
I ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the class, or it addresses business needs and changing practices:
1. Provides exemplary customer service
2. Registers borrowers, checks out/checks in library materials, places ILL requesting using an integrated library system
3. Collects, records, and counts all monies received at the Circulation Desk
4. Tracks overdue items
5. Answers and directs phone calls
6. Provides effective directional assistance
7. Serves the public at the Children’s desk and the Reference Desk upon request
8. Provides reader’s advisory and answers general reference questions
9. Assists patrons with first level technology support and troubleshooting
10. Unpacks/packs delivery bins
11. Sorts incoming mail, newspapers, and periodicals
12. Shelves/retrieves items in stack areas beginning at floor level and reaching a height of six feet
13. Assists with copying, general filing, programming, and other duties as assigned
14. Processes new materials
15. Enters/deletes items from the database
16. Maintains the periodical collection
17. Repairs damaged materials
18. Prepares bulletin boards, displays/story times
19. Assists library administration with data entry for the weekly payroll and accounts payable systems
20. Participates in library marketing, including blog posts, digital signage, and social media postings
21. Coordinates opening and closing of the library building as assigned
22. Contributes to special assignments and other library initiatives as directed
II MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
1. High School graduate, preferably with two years of college and/or library experience (finalists will be required to provide official educational transcripts)
2. Strong customer service skills
3. Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
4. Strong computer skills
5. Attention to detail
6. Ability to multi-task
7. Flexibility in scheduling
8. Enjoys working with adults, teens, and children
9. Must successfully pass a background check
III PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. 1. Environment: Work is performed primarily in a standard office environment; incumbents may be required to work evening and weekends.
Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting, to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to often walk, stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach (above shoulders), climb, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight (up to 25 pounds); to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; and to verbally communicate and exchange information.
See in the normal vision range with or without correction.
Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.
IV EQUIPMENT USED:
Equipment used includes but is not limited to the following:
Personal computer and peripheral devices, copy machine, telephone, and telephone headset.
Interested parties may apply here