- Rhode Island workers who are unable to work because of the gas outage in Newport County are allowed to apply for unemployment benefits and should file a claim with the RI Department of Labor and Training as soon as possible.
- Impacted employees are encouraged to file online to expedite the filing process. The web application can be accessed here: http://www.dlt.ri.gov/ui/fileclaim2.htm
- Additionally, employees may find these resources helpful:
- The standard one-week waiting period, as well as work-search requirements have been waived for claimants who are out of work as a result of the outage.
- For employers:
- Rhode Island employers whose affected employees file unemployment claims during the outage will be held harmless for the duration of the emergency.
- The state is waiving employer benefit charges, and
- Claims made by affected employees will not impact employers’ experience rating.